Teacher education in Nepal was started with the establishment of Basic Teacher Training Programme in 1947. As the need of teachers and teacher training was realized by the then government of Nepal, Nepal National Educational Planning Commission (NNEPC) 1954-55 recommended for College of Education which was materialized in 1956. The main objective of the College of Education (COE) was to produce trained manpower to teach at the primary and secondary schools. Thus, with the establishment of the College of Education, teacher training in the country took a definite shape. In 1971, National Education System Plan was introduced in the country and COE was renamed as the Institute of Education (IOE). A decade later in 1982, following the recommendation made by the Royal Commission on Higher Education, IOE was given the status of the present Faculty of Education (FOE).
Faculty of Education (FOE) is the largest faculties under Tribhuvan University in terms of the number of students and the number of campuses which are ever increasing. With its 26 constituent campuses and 560 affiliated campuses throughout the country, it has the biggest network of teacher training. Through its different courses which are taught in different programmes viz. One Year B.Ed, Three Year B.Ed and Two Year Med, MPhil and PhD, FOE produces trained educational manpower as teachers, teacher trainers, educational planners and managers, educational researchers, curriculum designer and all sorts of human resources needed for the educational sector of the country.
Whatever the name it might have along the time, it always helped Ministry of Education (MOE) by producing and supplying educational manpower, and helped the country to walk on the road of development.
The Vision Statement
The vision of the FOE is to be the centre of excellence in the field of teacher education and educational research in the SAARK region, and to provide Nepal with the competent human resources in order to help her take off onto the road of educational development.
FOE will work with international organizations and various government agencies responsible for educational and youth development, and promote international friendship and educational development amongst people of different cultural, religious, ethnical and social backgrounds by bringing them under one umbrella through its various courses correspondence and discouraging differences and animosity amongst different races.
The Mission Statement
The mission of the FOE is to serve the country through the preparation of trained and competent teachers to teach at different level, educational planner, curriculum designers, educational researchers and educational managers required for the country. A well-defined national education system is considered to be a lever to direct change towards uplifting the lives and living conditions of the people, and FOE is committed to lay solid foundation of a well-built teacher education system in the country.
FOE aims to transcend knowledge, skills and abilities through a sound pedagogical system in order to prepare educated manpower well equipped with sound knowledge and functional capacities. FOE also aims to promote international collaboration for better learning and innovation in the field of education.
The main objective of FOE is to develop itself as a centre of excellence for teacher education, and educational development and research, and to commit itself as one of the contributing partners to the national development. In more specific terms, FOE aims at achieving the following major objectives.
- To produce trained teachers to teach at different levels of school education.
- To prepare high educational human resources such as education administrators, curriculum designer, educational planners and researchers.
- To provide the country with the teachers to teach visually impaired and hard of hearing people, and also to the differently abled pupils.
- To provide its teachers with research opportunities and refresher training for their professional development.
- To support MOE in the formation of education policy, programme, planning and their implementation and evaluation.
- To work as national forum to bring about debates and discussions in order to address the critical educational issues.
- To share and disseminate educational researches and innovations by linking itself with the international educational communities.
- To make its presence felt among the educational institutes of the SAARC countries.