Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Programme
The Ph.D. programme in education under the Faculty of Education (FoE), Tribhuvan University (TU), aims to prepare students for high level academic and professional pursuit and expertise. The focus of the programme lies on developing critical thinkers, scholars, policy and programme planners, managers, researchers and specialists in the field of education. It is meant for the people who have the ability and dedication to make a significant contribution to the field of education. As development of creativity, originality and critical research capability in the prospective doctoral students is intended, the research scholars should be able to identify viable topics related to education for an in-depth study. At the end of the doctoral study, the Ph.D. research scholar should submit a dissertation that demonstrates his/her original scholarly pursuit and the ability to apply professional knowledge with the use of appropriate research methodologies under the guidance of appropriate research methodologies under the guidance of an academic supervisor.
This programme aims to enable the doctoral students to:
- achieve excellence in their chosen specific area of study,
- develop confidence in carrying out research studies independently, and
- develop interest to commit themselves to an academic pursuit.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
In order to be eligible to apply for the Ph.D. study at the (FoE), the candidate should have met the following requirements.
a. Academic degree
The candidate should have any one of the following academic degree:
- M.Phil. in Education.
- Master's Degree in Education at least with second division from TU or recognized by TU.
- The prospective doctoral candidates should have completed Research Methodology course at the Master's Degree Level (M.Ed./M.Phil.). S/He should have completed this course before the submission of the research proposal. As the completion of Research Methodology course stands as a prerequisite, s/he can do this either by attending the regular class or by attending predefined seminar/workshop, or by carrying out independent study under the guidance of the supervisor.
- The candidate should submit three publishable articles relating to the chosen area of study.
- Eligible candidates can apply to Ph.D. programme in the Dean's Office during the office days. Admission to the programme will generally be taken in the months of Shrawan (July-August) and Magh ( January-February). This rule, however, may not strictly apply to the candidates who are in service either at the Faculty of Education, T.U. or related organizations.
- The candidate has to submit his/her duly completed application form for Ph.D. programme to the Dean's Office, Faculty of Education. Application form can be obtained from the Dean's Office.
- The candidate is required to submit their curriculum vitae, two copies of mark sheets and the certificate of M.Ed. or M.Phil. in Education degree along with a synopsis ( a brief proposal) of the proposed research topic.
- The submitted documents will be scrutinized and recorded on a prescribed format. For this purpose, the application will be forwarded to the experts for revise and the candidate will be asked to present the synopsis before the evaluation committee.
- The Faculty will notify the candidate the result of the evaluation of the synopsis. The successful candidate will be given provisional admission. Upon this, the candidate will be considered as Ph.D. research student.